Location: 2 km from the city centre (main square), cca 25 min on foot, cca 10 min by tram (direct line)
The “Andrija Štampar” School of Public Health was founded in 1927, attributed to the initiative of a group of public health workers led by Dr Andrija Štampar and the financial support of the Rockefeller Foundation. The School was formally opened on October 3, 1927. In the first years of its functioning the School was integrated with the Institute of Hygiene into one institution. At the time Institutes of Hygiene carried out very important tasks: they supervised and, in a way, directed the work of health institutions in their regions. The School was the top element of public hygienic service entrusted with the task to study conditions which might have favourable or unfavourable impacts on people’s health.
In 1947, after the World War II, the School became an independent institution of the Medical School, University of Zagreb, taking over teaching for medical students in preventive subjects. Hygiene and Social Medicine, the main “preventive” subjects in the students’ curriculum, were considerably reorganized.
In the last decade, School members have initiated and carried out several seminars at the Inter-University Centre Dubrovnik, such as ‘Social Gerontology in Intercultural Perspectives’, ‘Training of Teachers in General Practice’, ‘Self-care’, ‘Human Rights and Medicine’, etc.
The principle that without scientific work there can be no good quality teaching, was always emphasized. The scientific work developed in all fields in which teaching was conducted. Scientific and professional activities enabled a closer link with public health practice. It is also a way to unite with institutions with similar interests in other countries. Therefore, significant scientific and professional activities have been conducted on behalf or in collaboration with the World Health Organization or through direct contacts with numerous foreign institutions.